Monday, December 30, 2013

The Addams Family

Man, I love this one.  This sucker came out in 1991, and it REALLY explains some things.  The increase of goth kids at the time, for one.  For weirdos like me, this movie made me feel that however strange I was, however odd, I could still find acceptance and, dare I hope, love.

The casting of this movie was perfect.  Raul Julia was amazing as Gomez, before Jean-Claude Van Damme and every other cast member killed him by appearing with him in Street Fighter (man, fuck that movie).  With respects to the great John Astin, Raul Julia was Gomez and there shall be none greater.  Anjelica Huston, again, with respects to Carolyn Jones, made Morticia sexy and slightly frightening.  The strongest feeling I got when watching the two of them though, was a true sense of family.  The actors made you believe they were deeply and insanely in love with each other, as opposed to just deeply insane.  Christopher Lloyd as Fester was amazing, he exuded menace and also a childlike naivete and, at least when he was pretending to be Fester (go with it) a wistful sense of having found somewhere to belong, when previously having been adrift.  Add that to Christina Ricci's extreme creepiness as Wednesday Addams and you have a formula for success.


The writing  in this movie was perfect and what I expect from Larry Wilson and Caroline Thompson (seriously, look up their credits and you will see how much they rock both together and solo).  Every character has their own, unique brand of crazy that they radiate.

The set dressers deserve a special accolade.  Every inch of the Addam's mansion is festooned with oddities and in-jokes.

 The music is an odd mix of orchestral and...M.C. Hammer.  Seriously.  I also love the Mamushka!  It's one of the best scenes in the movie, even though it has NOTHING to do with the majority of the movie.

So, see this, if you haven't.  If it's a part of your childhood, see it again.  I love it everytime I see it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment